After consultation with our tutor, I found that there are some drawbacks of the artist and artwork I chose.
Therefore I decided to do some research again and choose a new artist to investigate.
Finally I chose Ms Joe Yiu. I saw her artwork when I visited 'It Takes Four Sorts' Exhibition.
Joe Yiu completed MA in Fine Arts study at the Chinese University of Hong Kong in 2011, she has worked on various initiatives including those related to upcycling and culture of demonstration.
Joe attempt to reveal ridiculous phenomena in the highly urbanized Hong Kong in most of her works. Aiming to provide a critical perspective in reading the city, she is interested in discovering hidden orders in public space.
King's Cube, 2011
Mixed Media Installation
Backdrop 230cm x 230cm, video 6 mins 23 secs
Theme: Use the 'property promotion language' commonly used in promoting luxury properties to promote a cubicle apartment in Sham Shui Po
Form: Mixed Media Installation
Medium: Installation, Video Recording
Social Background: Nowadays, cubicle apartments have a rental fee that even higher than luxury properties. And many people are concerned about the bad environment in cubicle apartments.
Comments: It is very interesting for them to use a humorous approach to reveal a sad and unreasonable phenomena in the society.
Interview Questions:
1. Why you choose cubicle
apartments as the theme?
2. Why you choose to film
a luxurious version of the cubicle apartment instead of the reality apartment
(poor condition) one?
3. Which part did you
mainly responsible in the work?
4. What is the medium
that you used in your work?
5. Why you choose those
medium (e.g. video,filming)?
6. What are the
advantages of those medium?
7.
Which part do you like most in the work?
8.
Some people said you use humor in your work, do you agree with it? Or
you think it actually is a sad thing instead of humour?
9.
What kind of researches you did before you start your work?
10. What is your biggest and most inspired feeling
after finishing this work?
Reference: http://www.cuhkmafaa.hk/en/mlyiu.html



Rebecca, I believe this is a quite interesting topic to look at. I remember the feeling when I watched the video for the first time on the social network. I was feeling hopeless after this, with so many problems existing in our society, some of us still live like we don't "see" any problem. I also have some comments for the interview questions, I think the artist chose the cubicle apartment because of the social issue, maybe the question can be more specific. For example, why you would choose to film a luxurious version of the cubicle apartment instead of the reality (poor condition) apartment?
回覆刪除Rebecca, I believe this is a very interesting topic to look at. I am also interested in looking into social issues because this relate to us directly. I remember the feeling when I watched the video for the first time on the social network. I was feeling hopeless after this, with so many problems existing in our society, some of us still live like we don't "see" any problem. I also have some comments for the interview questions, I think the artist chose the cubicle apartment because of the social issue; maybe the question can be more specific. For example, why you would choose to film a luxurious version of the cubicle apartment instead of the reality (poor condition) apartment? This may be very interesting to look at.
刪除I think it's a very funny and interesting artwork. It makes the cubicle apartments become luxury properties and use the usual way to promote it. I agree that it use a humorous approach to reflect a bad treatment towards low income people. But i am not sure if it's an effective approach to reflect this fact/unreasonable phenomena in the society.
回覆刪除by tsui wing sze 52588280
回覆刪除these kind of artwork that are talking about the social phenomenon surrounding us. As we know ,it is difficult and unaffordable for young people to buy a house or a flat. Sometimes, it would be a "WOJU"窩居 to live in even though we have bought a flat or a house. Be that as it may, young people or resident still can use their talent and creativity to design their home sweet home and kive harmonily.
To be honest, the first sight I saw Joe Yiu’s work in the exhibition, I was surprised and couldn’t believe my eyes. This is the first time I have been to Hong Kong, and Hong Kong is always connected with luxury, busy, urbanization and other words in my mind. I never thought cubicle apartment would exit in Hong Kong. I think the artist, Joe Yiu, she really cares about Hong Kong situation, and I’m looking forward to your exploration. But I am more interested in the meaning behind this art work, rather than the work itself. For example, what dose Joe want to express through this art work? Why cubical apartment exit in Hong Kong? What has the society done to change or suit the situation?
回覆刪除The artwork is creative because it is the common situation which surrounding in Hong Kong but the artist used the fresh idea that as you said the humorous approach to reflect it. This way can make the contrast effect to reveal some Hong Kong people live in such bad environment which living in a very small place with higher price. Besides, this artwork can arouse Hong Kong people resonance because it reflected the social condition. I also think that the artwork not only reflected the social condition, but also reflected the mindset of the people. Although people live in such cubicle apartments, they will still give the good or wealth image when they go out. Even though it cannot be generalized, it represents most Hong Kong people mindsets.
回覆刪除Joe Yiu tried to exaggerate the housing problem in Hong Kong. It just likes a advertising of luxuriant house like I-uniq or something. I think this is an interesting way to attract people attention on how serious the housing problem is. As a Hong Kong people, of course we know some people are living in slums, with just 100 square feet or smaller.
回覆刪除It is ironic that this art work has already been shown in western country, and people were surprised that in Hong Kong, such a business hub, still, the living condition is worse like this.
P.S. I especially like the men walking out of the lift, holding a glass of wine! It is interesting, but more than interesting is that, some professionals is now living there!
This artwork created by Joe Yiu is absolutely fantastic. It can interestingly reflect the housing problem in Hong Kong—the price of an apartment is incredibly high that a middle-level income family can hardly afford. Meanwhile, I do want to point out an interesting point that the artist do not use the normal to express the housing problem. She don’t blame for the government directly and use the indirect method to show an unacceptable small apartment priced so exspensive compared with foreign apartment. Foreigner see this art work may light at this kind of joke. But they may not realize the housing problem that exist in Hong Kong. Therefore this is a good local artwork.
回覆刪除BY YIP WAI TUNG(53021297)
I saw the video in Youtube when it’s first publishing, and a lot of my friend was discussing it in Facebook as well. There is a lot of news reporting such issues (cube / board room / house!? apartment!?) in Hong Kong and leads to a lot of discussion in the society. However, the reason to have such issue didn’t solve for a long time because of a lot of factor, such as government.
回覆刪除King’s cube use such strong satire style and to satirize our society is an interesting and efficient method to wake up those who don’t care / already forgot we have such kind of society issues in Hong Kong.
It warns all of us who could be able to use Internet should remind ourselves, pay attention and don’t forget such issues. It might not relate to you, but it’s really related to you as a society.
Wong Kwun Piu Alexander 51902820
The first time i see this artwork, i thought it's a advertisement to introduce a new building. i think it's very interesting, Joe use a the luxury housing to mock the sub divide units. It lead us to think about how space we can owns in Hong Kong. He used a funny way to point out the serious HK's social problem. It showed the social poverty and polarization issue. i think he can record more the real situation of the sub divide units. It can have a strong comparison.
回覆刪除Chiu Pui Wa 52094870
回覆刪除After watching the video, I am sorry I cannot agree with you that it is interesting to know this sad truth in any way but I think it is an effective way to draw people attention. I looked up in the internet for more information. It is really astonishing that even CNN, a foreign media, has reported on this video.
http://travel.cnn.com/hong-kong/life/kings-cube-every-hong-kongers-fantasy-and%E2%80%A6-nightmare-108829
It successfully signifies how worse the situation that Hong Kong is in on the poverty issue.
Besides, at the end of the video, a man crawls in the cubical that previously introduce. There is a suit hanging on the cubical door and the cubical is laminated with yellow light. In my point of view, I think Joe would like to sarcastically reveal the fact that everyone want a “golden” house. And the suit is a metaphor of a luxurious identity. However, what the reality is seems to be the opposite. Do you think in the same way or did Joe mention any thing about the ending?